Friday, August 29, 2008

And Baby Makes Three

When my husband asked me to marry him, I don't think he was sure it would be alright to bring children into the mobile lifestyle of the military. I assured him that I had moved around as a child and turned out okay. As long as our family stuck together, we would raise happy, well-adjusted individuals.

Today I had a conversation with my mom which made me question my assurance. I told her how much I hoped our kids would fit in and how much I felt like I couldn't fit in growing up. I became so emotional about the alienation I felt that I almost cried then and there. I left high school and home over 12 years ago and I can still bring up those negative feelings as easily as if it was today.

Our kids will grow up around other military kids. It stands to reason that they will have plenty in common with the children they see in school and in our neighborhoods. I'm sure all will be fine.

I need to keep reminding myself of how well adjusted I am.

No comments: