Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Command Giveth and The Command Taketh Away

The first time in my military marriage that we were given orders was a pivotal point in my life. I had, that very day, accepted a promotion at the public library. It took me 9 months to find this job. The job I felt fit me.
My husband called with the "guess what" good news, I told my new boss that I guess I would be formally turning down the position in print the next day and I went home to celebrate the fact that our orders were to a base we had requested.
That night we ate dinner at one of our favorite places and celebrated.
The next morning, earlier than we would usually receive phone calls, we heard from my brother-in-law. I knew when the phone rang that it was bad news. My mother-in-law had passed away.
Her illness was the reason we requested the move in the first place. Now our move was canceled.
I went to my new boss, hat-in-hand, and asked if the position was still mine for the taking. Thankfully, she said yes. I held that job for two good years and I was happy.
I use this story to illustrate the transience of those elusive orders. It is a true story. In one 24 hour period I thought I had the perfect job, had lost the perfect job, but had the perfect move, then lost the perfect mother-in-law and the move, but had my job back.
Good luck!

No comments: