Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Politics for the Wife

One friend asked me a political question about how military members feel about the current administration.

I cannot, in all honesty, answer for the military. I can't even say I have a good sample for which to speak.

I have come to realize, in my contemplation, that honoring the sitting president has nothing to do with blindly following your leader or respecting the Commander-in-Chief, so much that it's a matter of respect. It would be inappropriate for me to bad mouth my husband in public. It is immature to speak poorly of our employers to others. It would be a bad show for someone to speak out publicly about touchy and highly nuanced subjects such as military involvement in the current administration.

I am not a politician, nor would I wish to be. Politicians have to make awful decisions. Sometimes they have to sacrifice their own values for some greater good that even they cannot see. My values are pretty strong and I don't think I could make those sacrifices. I wouldn't say that many politicians are good at making decisions properly, but they do make decisions. They have to see black and white where there's gray, lavender and blue.

Would you ask Laura Bush to speak publicly against her husband? Do you think Hillary Clinton should denounce political things Bill did? I don't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine and I were talking about this today and I feel the same way. No matter what my personal beliefs might be, I put those aside for the simple fact that it would be inappropriate to discuss the "family business" and the employer who signs my husband's pay check every two weeks.

I could never be a politician. They make decisions much harder than what to make for dinner (which isn't a life or death question). They do have to see a big picture and even they do not act alone.

When Politics creep into a conversation, I politely decline to comment