Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Budget

Yesterday I said I didn't want to be political. Today I'm backtracking. I think I just don't want to do anything that's not in my own interests.

I'm afraid of what elected officials might choose to do with the budget that might affect my lifestyle. I want to be able to live comfortably, have my own car, stay home with my children, earn my own income and have nice shoes. These can be really tough goals for an enlisted family.

I said that I think the pay gap between senior enlisted and officers should be smaller. This opinion is in my own interest. I see guys like my husband who will remain enlisted no matter how much education they finish. It makes it tough for a wife to look at another woman with the same education and background and not resent that she can more comfortably afford nicer shoes.

The raises approved by congress this year are the same percentage across the board. If we're talking percentages, that means that the raise is higher for people making more money in the first place. In some cases that's really justifiable, but some guys are just filling space and making more money. That seems inequitable. A guy making $30,000 getting a 3% raise gets a mere $900 more, a guy making $60,000 gets $1800 more and one that makes $120,000 gets $3600. Those numbers seem like a pittance in print to me, but I wonder if more merit pay would inspire guys to earn those raises. Maybe they do earn them through merit promotions.

I am a wife, I should probably continue to deal with my home budget and leave the military budget to people who hopefully know better. My vote is my power, though, and I'm thinking about it.

No comments: