Wednesday, August 20, 2008

More About Gossip

I think some of you may be interested to hear of my experiences with on base living.
I'm going to tell you all exactly why my family moved off base after James got orders last year, even knowing that we'd only live there for six months.
Barksdale was in the process of transitioning to privatized housing and we were hearing a lot of promises and rumors. I was already feeling bad for agreeing to move into the house we lived in for a year and a half. I asked if we would be allowed to move to newer housing in the near future and the community liaison told me that new houses would be more than a year away. We were being asked to sign a year long lease on a house that was driving me up the wall already.
After my conversation with the housing man, I spoke with other women who I assumed were my friends as well as neighbors. One is always supportive of me. One is sort of cagey. The third, who I thought was a friend, tore me down emotionally to a point where I can barely think of her without tearing up. It was this, feeling like I didn't have the friend I thought I had, that made me decide I couldn't stay in the hostile atmosphere of base housing.
I already dealt with a neighbor who told vicious lies about myself and my relationship with my husband. My husband negotiated working with someone hostile because of lies told by an unfriendly neighbor. I was not going to live right there with someone who, under the guise of friendship, could not understand my good intentions and positive attitude for it's face value.

No comments: